Super-delighted to have watched THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA, touted to be "the most successful musical of all time" ~ 'twas just fantastic!!! ♥




Was so excited when I heard that The PHANTOM of the OPERA, Andrew Lloyd Webber' s critically acclaimed masterpiece, was finally opening in Manila!!
I still can't believe I would have the wonderful opportunity to watch it LIVE!!
I heard tickets got sold-out as early as July '12, prompting the producers to take action and add 16 more shows to the season.


If you've never seen a musical play in your entire life, I think THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA would be the best show to introduce you to the world of musicals...


The show boasts of a global cast.
They flew in the cast and crew of 130 people from eight different countries!!
And as they say in the world of theatre, there are no small parts ~ only small actors, and each actor plays a vital role in Phantom.
They say the original West End production in 1986 had 230 costumes and 14 dressers for the cast, crew, and orchestra members.
It was challenging, I'm sure, to have it all come together in CCP!!


The music is timeless.
Even before I saw the musical, I was already addicted to its soundtrack during my college days at the U.P.Conservatory, and I never imagined I would hear it LIVE!!
Just wonderful!
I especially love Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber's award-winning compositions like "The Music of the Night" and "All I Ask of You."
I was ecstatic to hear these classics being performed onstage!!

One of the poignant scenes of Christine and The Phantom

The Phantom of the Opera is one of the greatest love stories of all time.
Forget about Romeo and Juliet or Bella and Edward for a minute;
the dark tone of The Phantom of the Opera surpasses the usual bubblegum love story.
Based on the novel, Le Fay French writer Gaston Leroux, The Phantom of the Opera tells the story of a disfigured musical genius known only as The Phantom who haunts the Paris Opera House.
Mesmerized by the young soprano, Christine, The Phantom lures her as his protege and falls madly in love with her.
Unaware of Christine's love for her childhood friend, Raoul, The Phantom goes on a mad obsession that shifts the course of the story.
Christine, in the meantime, is confused, and questions her true feelings for the Phantom.

Dondi Ong plays "Ubaldo Piangi"

There's a Pinoy who's part of the ensemble!!
Yes!!
"I still can't believe I'm part of it", shared Dondi Ong, who is the only Filipino cast member for the international tour of Phantom.
The U.P.College of Music valedictorian successfully auditioned for the worldwide search for a tenor to join the ensemble.
Dondi is alternating with South African opera performer Thabiso Masemene for the role of Ubaldo Piangi.












(My heart 'bled' for the Phantom...he is my hero!) ♥


With 130 cast, crew and orchestra members, jaw-dropping scenery, breathtaking special effects and  more than 230 costumes by international designer, the late Maria Bjornson, THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA contains some of Andrew Lloyd Webber's most famous and stirring music, including "The Phantom of the Opera" and "Music of the Night".

The timeless, romantic and much-loved musical has been honoured with seven prestigious New York Tony Awards, among them the Tony for Best Musical, seven Drama Desk Awards and three Olivier Awards.

At this point, if you haven't seen "Phantom", there must be something wrong in your universe.

(Just kidding!)
But if you really can't make it, I heard their next stop is Seoul before the Christmas holidays.
(wink, wink)

Post a Comment

0 Comments

FOOD MORNING, BACOLOD!☺

© Copyright - FOOD MORNING, BACOLOD!☺