Beef Pochero for lunch, anyone? :-)


my homemade "Beef Pochero"

Pochero
Pochero  is one of the most popular Filipino dishes.
This is also a dish that my family loves so much.
It is real comfort food, especially on a cold day.
I like eating  Pochero.
And I like cooking it with sweet corn & lots of pechay leaves.
There are actually three kinds of  Pochero:
 Pork Pochero,
 Beef Pochero,
 and Chicken Pochero.
I cooked  Beef Pochero  today.

Beef Pochero
It is really not that difficult to prepare this dish.
But patience is needed, especially in cooking the meat.
You see, just like "Lina-ga",
 the secret to a good Pochero lies in the meat 
~ it has to be tender!

My Beef Pochero Recipe
Ingredients:
2 kilos beef shank
(I source my meat supply from the Monterey shop of my friend Cristina Javelosa-Gamboa in B.S.Aquino Drive, Bacolod.)
1/2 pc.small cabbage, whole leaf individually detached
1 bundle pechay
1 bundle string beans
3 pcs. corn, each cut into 3 parts
5 pcs. bananas (sab-a variety), sliced into 2 pcs. each
2 pcs. medium-sized sweet potato (kamote) or potatoes, quartered 
2 tablespoon whole peppercorn
1/2 cup green onions
1 medium-sized onion
34 ounces water
2 tablespoons *fish sauce or "patis" - optional 
(*my Tagalog mother taught me to use "Patis Rufina") 

Cooking procedure:
1. In a big cooking pot, pour in water and bring to a boil.
2. Put in the beef shank, followed by the onion and whole peppercorn then,
 simmer for 1-hour-and-a-half or until meat is tender.*
(*Note: If you're in a hurry, you can use a pressure cooker 
~ cooking the meat will take all of 30 minutes,
 instead of 1 hour-and-a-half!)
3. Add the corn,bananas and sweet potatoes.
 Cover and simmer for at least another 5-10 minutes.
4. Add the fish sauce or "patis", cabbage, string beans, pechay, and green onions (onion leeks).
5. Serve hot.
Share and enjoy!

Love ~ SAL ♥

Post a Comment

0 Comments

FOOD MORNING, BACOLOD!☺

© Copyright - FOOD MORNING, BACOLOD!☺