My homemade Kare-Kare Sunday meal for the family ♥


Kare-Kare
Kare-Kare  has always been a favorite dish in our family.
It is also my hubby's favorite.
The reason why we never fail to order it every time we happen to be in a Filipino restaurant.
Today was special, though...
hubby requested me to cook homemade  Kare-Kare  for our Sunday lunch.
Now...am admittedly no 'expert cook' or 'master chef' (LOL) but this (Kare-Kare),
 though time-consuming and quite tiring to prepare,
 I had to 'muster'...all for the love of family! ♥


Kare-Kare  is a rich and meaty Filipino stew flavored and thickened in a peanut-based sauce,
 with a variety of vegetables like "balatong" (string beans) and eggplant.

 The most common cuts of beef used are tail, shank or face.
 A combination of the three may be used.
As for me, I like to add tripe as well.
 If these are not available you can use round or sirloin cut.

The meat is first tenderized, then sauteed in garlic, "guinamos" ("bagoong"), "achuete" (annato) seeds and vegetables.
 Peanut butter is added during the last stages of cooking to thicken the sauce and give the characteristic flavor of the   Kare-Kare.
 Most common vegetables used are "balatong" (string beans), pechay, eggplant and banana buds from the banana heart.

Served on special occasions or as a Sunday meal,
  Kare-Kare  is always accompanied by sauteed shrimp paste or what we Ilonggos call "guinamos" 
(that's "bagoong" or "bagoong alamang" for you in Tagalog).
"Guinamos" has a strong taste for some but as for me,
  Kare-Kare  is not authentically  Kare-Kare  if not served with "guinamos"!!

*And what's the 'secret' "guinamos"/"bagoong" I used, to 'accompany' my  Kare-Kare?
 Easy, I bought a bottle of good ol' Barrio Fiesta Bagoong at the supermarket!
 Voila, problem solved!
 No need to make "bagoong" from scratch, hehehe.


Kare-Kare for Babes ♥

Ingredients
1.) 1 oxtail
2.) 1 ox leg
3.) 1 ox tripe
4.) 2 medium sized eggplants cut in small pieces
5.) 1 banana heart sliced diagonally
6.) 1 bunch of pechay 
7.) 1 bundle of "balatong" (string beans)
8.) 1 small bottle *peanut butter

 (I normally use homemade peanut butter
which I buy from a family friend who makes it from scratch
 but if unavailable,
 I use either *Lady's Choice Creamy Peanut Butter
or the imported brand *Organic Creamy Peanut Butter made with Sea Salt
 my brother Alan usually sends me from the U.S.)

(Organic Creamy Peanut Butter made with Sea Salt)

9.) 1/2 cup "achuete" (annatto) seeds soaked in 1/2 cup hot water

Note:
"Achuete" (annatto) seeds are added to redden the dish.


'achuete' seeds soaked in water

Post a Comment

0 Comments

FOOD MORNING, BACOLOD!☺

© Copyright - FOOD MORNING, BACOLOD!☺